Baldwin Supply Company was founded under the firm name of Baldwin Service Company by James Clark Rowett in 1920. The original location was a small room at 428 South 5th Street in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The second location was at 510 Fifth Avenue South, and the third in the Sexton Building at Seventh St. and Portland Avenue. At one time the company was also known as The Baldwin Duckworth Chain Corporation.
Robert Nyrop and Robert Groen became owners of the company in 1941 and managed it until their deaths in July and December 1990, respectively. Both Nyrop and Groen spent most of their adult lives in the Power Transmission field with Baldwin Supply Company. Bob Groen, who came from Parkston, SD, started with the firm in 1936 as a shipping clerk. Robert "Dick" Nyrop, a Minneapolis native, joined the company in the same capacity the following year. In 1941, they, along with James Craighead and William Haag, became owners of the business. Their business careers were temporarily interrupted; Groen served in the Air Force and Nyrop in the Army, from 1942 until the end of the war. So it was actually 1946 before they really got going as heads of the business. During this time Haag had sold his interest to his partners and in 1961 Groen and Nyrop became sole owners through the purchase of Craighead's interest.
Baldwin Supply purchased a two-story building at 1329 S. Sixth St. where it served its customers for 14 years.
Baldwin Supply moved to its current corporate location at 601-11th Ave South in Minneapolis. This is the fifth home of Baldwin Supply Company. Operations have expanded from this location in Minneapolis to multiple locations across the upper midwest..
1992In September 1992, David LaRue purchased the company from the estates. Under his leadership, Baldwin Supply Company has been on a steady growth curve.
1998 Baldwin opened its first branch location in Owatonna, MN.
2001Baldwin built a new building and opened its branch in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
2005In 2005, Baldwin began offering millwright services through our Conveyor Services division, also located in Hibbing MN.
2006The acquisition of Leader Bearing Supply in Des Moines, Iowa, continues our focus on growth and providing the best in local support for our customers.
2009Herem and O’Connor promoted to lead Baldwin. Ron Herem was named President and Jim O'Connor Executive VP. Owner Dave LaRue transitioned to CEO.
2015Baldwin Supply Company announced in February 2015 that they will become a founding distributor member of the Affiliated Distributors (AD) Bearings & Power Transmission Division.AD is a dynamic community of independent distributors and manufacturers of construction and industrial products. AD’s 540+ independently owned members, with 3,598 locations, span seven industries and three countries with collective annual sales in excess of $31 Billion. AD distributors are local market leaders with deep roots in their local communities, great people and strong customer relationships.AD members are true market leaders dedicated to the pursuit of excellence and growth. AD Suppliers are progressive manufacturers who value independents and invest in their growth and profitability. When truly great companies come together, the result is above-market growth and above market profitability.
2015Rob LaRue was promoted to COO and became a third-generation owner. Rob officially joined Baldwin Supply Company in June of 2010. He now is an owner with his father Dave LaRue and follows in the footsteps of his Grandfather Robert Nyrop.
Baldwin Supply opens new branch in Appleton, WI
20202020 marks Baldwin Supply Company’s 100th year in business. The past century has been a true testament to the vision our founders pursued 100 years ago in the one-room storefront in Minneapolis and the same ambition that our team possesses today.We are incredibly proud of this achievement, and also very humbled by the fact that few companies reach this major milestone. We owe our longevity and success to the suppliers, customers, employees & communities we have worked with over the years. These 100 years are dedicated to all of you who were a part of our journey.
Baldwin's Belting Division completes purchase and renovation of a 50,000 sq ft facility in Fridley, MN. The facility, located at 5261 Ashton AVE NE will serve as the company’s primary conveyor belt fabrication facility and will replace their Minneapolis Belt shop location
At the end of 2021, Baldwin Supply announced its expansion into southwestern Minnesota by opening a new branch location in Marshall, Minnesota. This office is located at 901 Michigan Road and is Baldwin’s 11th branch location in the Upper Midwest. This extension allowed for an expansion of products and services to the southwestern region of Minnesota to help customers meet challenges and grow their operations.
We, at Baldwin Supply, are not out to reinvent the wheel - or the conveyor belt. We just want to continue to do what we do best: provide our services to our customers so that they can succeed in doing what they do best.